For the first time ever on DVD, the classic 80's serial featuring the Seventh Doctor and Mel will be available to buy from September. For those unfamiliar with the story:
The Rani has taken control of the planet Lakertya and forced the peaceful Lakertyans to build a rocket silo-cum laboratory base into a cliff face. She is aided by the Tetraps, a race of bat-like creatures, and plans to fire a rocket loaded with loyhargil, a substance with the same properties as strange matter, at an asteroid completely composed of the latter.
As a preliminary to this she has created a huge artificial brain and kidnapped a number of geniuses – Including Pasteur and Einstein from Earth - to imbue it with the ability first to identify and then to calculate the correct way to create loyhargil for her in the laboratory. The newly-regenerated Doctor and Mel must stop her and save the planet…
The cover isnt available yet, so here is a picture of Mel to make things all better.
Available from September 13th, Time and the Rani has an RRP of £19.99 but you can pre order it from the BBC from £13.99. Special features include:
• 4 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio.
• Commentary - stereo. With actors Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford, writers Pip and Jane Baker.
• The Last Chance Saloon– by 1987, senior executives at the BBC were on the point of killing-off Doctor Who in the face of stiff fan opposition. Instead, they decided to give the show one last chance… With actors Sylvester McCoy and Kate O’Mara, producer John Nathan-Turner, director Andrew Morgan, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Pip and Jane Baker, BBC Head of Series & Serials Jonathan Powell and graphic designer Oliver Elmes. Written by Nev Fountain and narrated by Richard Heffer.
• 7D FX – a look behind-the-scenes at the creation of the story’s impressive visual effects. With visual effects designer Colin Mapson, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker and video effects designer Dave Chapman.
• Helter-Skelter– Graphic designer Oliver Elmes and animator Gareth Edwards talk about how they created the first CGI title sequence in Doctor Who’s history.
• Lakertya – writers Pip and Jane Baker talk about their original vision for the lush forest planet Lakertya and director Andrew Morgan explains why he ended up shooting it in a desolate quarry instead…
• Hot Gossip – Kate O’Mara recalls the fun of working with gossiping friends. With Sylvester McCoy and Andrew Morgan.
• On Location– BBC Breakfast Time’s reporter Guy Michelmore visits the production during location filming for the story’s exterior scenes and talks to John Nathan-Turner, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford and Kate O’Mara.
• Blue Peter – Janet Ellis welcomes newly appointed Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy to the Blue Peter studio.
• Photo Gallery - production, design and publicity photos from the story.