Monday 30 August 2010

When Is A Split, Not A Split?

I literally just posted an article about how all may not be as it seems with this split series, but I already have an update. It seems despite what we are being told, series 6 is not being split in half, it has been cut in half. 2011 will play host to two half series of Doctor Who. Moffat had this to say:
“I kept referring to a mid-season finale. So we are going to make it two series – seven episodes at Easter building to an earth-shattering climax, a cliffhanger we could never normally do because it would be too long before it came back. An enormous game-changing cliffhanger that will change everything.

“The wrong expression would be to say we are splitting it in two. We are making it two separate series.”

So with that in mind, how does two shorter series as apposed to one long, split series sound?

2 comments:

  1. hm... I think the idea of one long split series appeals more to me, than shorter a series... =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're referring to them as two (well, the Moff is), but what are the practicalities? I mean, are the actors signed for a 13-episode series? (They are, right?)

    Will they film the series in two separate blocks? They are a lot of advantages in that, I think, from a production point-of-view, but not so for the actors, if they have two long periods a year working on Who, limiting them of getting around to do other side projects and, you know, rest. (You're free to correct me if I'm talking bull, of course. :P)

    Maybe the Moff says they're two series 'cause he thinks of each block of episodes like one, with a premiere, and cliffhanger finale?

    I dunno, the thing sounds weird, but also exciting and I really don't mind the extra wait, though I can't stop wondering about these kinds of things. :P

    ReplyDelete